Department of Pathology
Detroit Medical Center
Harper University Hospital
3990 John R
Detroit, MI 48201
Position TitleAssociate Professor
Dr. Bandyopadhyay practices general surgical pathology and cytopathology with special interests in Breast and Gynecologic pathology. Her additional clinical expertise in cytopathology includes fine needle aspirations, body fluid and gynecologic cytopathology.
Clinical and Diagnostic/Consultative Expertise
Cervical cytology, fine needle aspiration (FNA), body fluids cytopathology, breast pathology and gynecologic pathology.
Calcutta National Medical College
- 2005: Pathology-Anatomic & Clinical, Wayne State University/Detroit Medical Center. Detroit, MI
- 2006: Cytopathology Fellowship, Wayne State University, Detroit Medical Center, Detroit, MI
- 2007: Breast and Gynecologic Pathology, Magee-Women’s Hospital, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
- 2008: Surgical Pathology Fellowship, Wayne State University, Detroit Medical Center, Detroit, MI
- Board Certified in Anatomic Pathology and Clinical Pathology, 2005
- Board Certified in Cytopathology, 2006
Medical Education Responsibilities
Undergraduate Program: Lab instructor for 2nd year Medical students (Pathobiology and Pathophysiology)
Residency/Fellowships: Training faculty for residents and fellow (cytopathology and general surgical pathology)
Areas of InterestBreast Pathology, Gynecologic Pathology, Cytopathology & Fine Needle Aspiration
Dr. Bandyopadhyay's research interests include cancer diagnosis with implications on patient management and evaluation of diagnostic and prognostic markers including molecular and immunohistochemical studies in cytology and surgical specimens, especially in areas of breast and gynecologic cancers.
Breast and gynecological Cancer and biomarkers.
1. Bandyopadhyay S, Pansare V, Feng J, Ali-Fehmi R, Bhan R, Husain M, and Al-Abbadi MA, 2007, The frequency and rationale of fine needle aspiration biopsy conversion to core biopsy as a result of on-site evaluation, Acta Cytol, 51: 509-16.
2. Pansare V, Bandyopadhyay S, Feng J, Bhan R, Joyrich R, Husain M, and Al-Abbadi MA, 2007, Fine needle aspiration biopsy outcomes of masses detected by positive emission tomography: correlation with standard uptake value, Acta Cytol. 51:161-7.
3. Bandyopadhyay S, Andrean SD, Puklin JE, and Feng J, 2008, Choroidal metastasis from an occult primary diagnosed by fine needle aspiration: A case report, Diagn Cytopathol, 37: 38-41.
4. Bandyopadhyay S, Austin RM, Dabbs DJ and Zhao C, 2008, Hybrid capture 2 hrHPV DNA in ThinPrep Pap test is a very useful ancillary test in women with atypical squamous Cells-Cannot Exclude HSIL (ASC-H), Arch Pathol Lab Med, 132: 1874-81.
5. Bandyopadhyay S, Basturk O, Altinel D, and Adsay NV, 2009, Isolated solitary ductal units in adipose tissue is a specific finding of pancreatic adenocarcinoma and may aid in determining extrapancreatic adipose tissue extension, Am J Surg Pathol, 33: 425-9.
Lecturer for cytotechnology school.