Kenneth Honn, Ph.D.
Kenneth Honn, Ph.D.
Office Address431 Chemistry Wayne State University
Detroit, MI 48202
Position TitleDistinguished Professor
Ph.D. (1977): Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, USA
Areas of InterestCancer, inflammation, eicosanoids, integrins, lipoxygenases, metastasis and invasion
At the core of our research are bioactive lipids. Their production and subsequent orchestration of physiological events are fundamental for homeostasis in normal settings such as resolution of inflammation. However, certain cues that result in initiation and progression of a variety of cancers are linked with deranged eicosanoid production and metabolism. Dietary accumulation of harmful fats and innate production of inappropriate amounts or types of lipid metabolites directly impacts cancer cell motility and invasion leading to metastasis. Utilizing a multidisciplinary approach that includes biochemical, cellular and molecular biology methodologies, as well as state-of-the-art systems bioinformatics, Dr. Honn's pioneered in characterizing lipid metabolizing enzymes and their corresponding proteome including upstream lipid receptors and downstream regulatory axes. Novel drugs were developed out of these studies that specifically target lipid- metabolic pathways and impinge on cancer-exploited processes such as angiogenesis and motility-guided cellular adhesion. Dr. Honn's group continues to focus on the role of lipids in prostate cancer and have engaged in proof-of-principle collaborations with other cancer researchers where the paradigm of lipid-mediated cancer initiation and progression is also evident.
1. Szekeres CK, Tang K, Trikha M, and Honn KV, 2000, Eicosanoid activation of extracellular signal-regulated kinase1/2 in human epidermoid carcinoma cells, J Biol Chem, 275: 38831-41.
2. Pidgeon GP, Tang K, Cai Y, Piasentin E, and Honn KV, 2003, Over-expression of Platelet-type 12 Lipoxygenase Promotes Tumor Cell Survival by alpha(v)beta(3) and alpha(v)beta(5) integrin expression, Cancer Res, 63: 4258-67.
3. Nie D, Che M, Zacharek A, Qiao Y, Li L, Li X, Lamberti M, Tang K, Cai Y, Guo Y, Grignon D, and Honn KV, 2004, Differential expression of thromboxane synthase in prostate carcinoma: role in tumor cell motility, Am J Pathol, 164: 429-39.
4. Nie D, Krishnamoorthy S, Jin R, Tang K, Chen Y, Qiao Y, Zacharek A, Guo Y, Milanini J, Page G, and Honn KV, 2006, Mechanisms regulating tumor angiogenesis by 12-lipoxygenase in prostate cancer cells, J Biol Chem, 281: 18601-9.
5. Krishnamoorthy S and Honn KV, 2006, Inflammation and disease progression, Cancer Met Rev, 25: 481-91.