Office AddressHutzel Professional Building
4727 St. Antoine, Suite 411
Detroit, MI 48201
Administrative ContactBrenda Batts
Phone: (313) 511-1102
Dr. Mohamed is board-certified by the American Board of Medical Genetics in Clinical Cytogenetics. She is a Professor in the Department of Pathology at Wayne State University, and the Director of the Clinical Cytogenetics laboratory at Detroit Medical center. Dr Mohamed received her M.D. degree from University of Mosul/Iraq, and a Master in Genetics from Cornell University/New York. She completed her post-doctoral training in cancer Genetics at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Institute. She has over 25 years of experience in clinical cytogenetic including chromosome analysis , FISH, and microarray. Her diagnostic experience is in leukemia, lymphoma, and other hematological malignancies and solid tumors. Dr Mohamed severed on the Cytogenetic working committee for South West Oncology Group. She has authored or co-authored more than 90 publications in Cancer Cytogenetics.
M.D. (1977): Mosul Medical College, Mosul University, Mosul, Iraq
M.S. (1983): Cornell University Medical College, Cornell University, New York, NY, USA
1983-1985: Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Institute, New York, NY, USA
Medical Education Responsibilities
Faculty Member for Pathology Residency and Fellowship Programs;
Genetic Counseling Graduate Program, Wayne State University School of Medicine
Training and teaching conventional cytogenetics and FISH to Pathology Residents, Hematopathology fellows, Cytopathology fellows, Pediatric fellows, Genetic Counseling Graduate students, and Medical students
Program Director of the American Board of Medical Genetic (ABMG) Clinical Laboratory Fellowship Program.
Cytogenetics, FISH, leukemia, and sarcoma
Dr. Mohamed's research focuses on cytogenetic of various hematological malignancies, and solid tumors. Her interest includes developing and characterization of leukemia/lymphoma and pancreatic cells lines. These cell lines are being used in animal models for various research purposes. She has published many papers on a large series of leukemia, lymphoma, and multiple myeloma cytogenetics with emphasis on correlation of karyotypic profile with the histological morphology, and clinical behavior.
1977-1979: Duhok General Hospital, Duhok, Iraq
1. Al-Katib A, Arnold AA, Aboukameel A, Sosin A, Smith P, Mohamed AN, Beck FW, Mohammad RM. kappa-kinase-2 (IKK-2) inhibition potentiates vincristine cytotoxicity in non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Mol Cancer. 2010 Sep 1;9:228. PMID: 20809973 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
2. Mohamed A. MLL amplification in leukemia. Atlas Genet Cytogenet Oncol Haematol. 15(2), 220-222, 2011
URL : http://AtlasGeneticsOncology.org/Anomalies/MLLampliID1547.html
3. Alkatib S, Schloff D, Mohamed AN ; Amplification of MLL gene in a new case of acute myeloid leukemia. Atlas Genet Cytogenet Oncol Haematol: 15(2) 236-238, 2011 URL:http://AtlasGeneticsOncology.org/Reports/MLLMohamedID100045.html
4. Heaton SM, Koppitch F, Mohamed AN; A New Case of t(4;12)(q12;p13) in a Secondary Acute Myeloid Leukemia with Review of Literature. Atlas Genet Cytogenet Oncol Haematol: 14(10) 982-984, 2011
5. Hussein Y, Kulkarni V, Mohamed AN: Insertion as an alternative mechanism of CBFB-MYH11 gene fusion in a new case of acute myeloid leukemia with an abnormal chromosome 16. Atlas Genet Cytogenet Oncol Haematol. October, 2011
URL : http://AtlasGeneticsOncology.org/Genes/ins16q22p13p13MohamI D100058.html
6. Kremer JD, Mohamed AN: A case of acute lymphoblastic leukemia with rare t(11;22)(q23;q13). Kremer JD, Mohamed AN . . Atlas Genet Cytogenet Oncol Haematol. October 2011 .
URL http://AtlasGeneticsOncology.org/Genes/t1122q23q13MohamedID 100059.html
7. Chandrakasan S, Mohamed AN, Chitlur MB, Konski A, Rabah R, Savasan, S; Malignant Fibrous Histiocytoma Two Years after Autologous Stem Cell Transplant for Hodgkin Lymphoma: Evidence for Genomic Instability" Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2011 Jul 1;56(7):1143-5. doi: 10.1002/pbc.22929. Epub 2011 Feb 18. PMID: 21488163 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
8. Micale M, Mohamed AN: Molecular Cytogenetic (FISH) Analysis of Hematological Disorders. Laboratory Hematology Practice, 1st Edition edited Kottke-Marchant K, Davis B. Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd,1; 181-198, 2012